Saturday, October 10, 2009

My Tragic Love Affair



I'm going to embellish on my personal experiences and explain further the struggles I have experienced not only as an allergic person but also as a die hard foodie.  I love food; I am insanely passionate about it in every aspect imaginable.  All I knew growing up was that I wanted a career involving food.  Med school? HR? No way.  Food and only food.  Imagine if I had said that to my allergist-- he would have laughed in my face.  It was the most impossible career for me to have pursued.  I took three years of culinary arts in high school and food was the heart of my program in college.  I have never held a job not revolving around food.  I have worked in cookie factories, small bakeries, cafes, and large scale kitchens.  I even went to culinary school.  Each experience has only deepened my fervor for food.  However, I always felt like my allergies were holding me back, inhibiting me from fully reaching my potential.  I could only do the patisserie program because my seafood allergies are too severe to have completed the cuisine program.  I can't be the food critic I always dreamed of because I can't eat most of the food.  I even had to stop working in kitchens-- being so close to so many allergens on an every day basis was detrimental to my health.   There are so many jobs that I cannot pursue, and it is quite possibly the most difficult thing for me to accept.  So, I sought out one of the only graduate programs in the nation that entirely focuses on the study of food. I am a grad student where my primary purpose is to look at the world through the lens of food.  It's perfect and I am optimistic that it will lead to a career where I will no longer be hindered by my allergies. 


It still seems so unfortunate that I had to fall in love with something that could kill me.  It's a tragic love affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment